The fine hairs grow at the eyelid plays an important role in the protection of eye. The main use of eyelashes is to protect the eyes from several small particles such as sand and dust which enters and harms the eyes. Eyelashes are also regarded as an emphasis of beauty especially in women. The other use of eyelashes is to provide alert from an object may be very close to the eye that harms your eyes. Hence eyelashes work as protective guard of the eye.
Causes of Eyelashes Loss
There are some of the causes of eyelash loss are as given below –
- Pulling – Some of the people are suffering from the psychological condition called as trichotillomania which causes to pull out hair anywhere on the body which is the main responsible for eyelash loss. Trichotillomania is one of the disorders which urge the patient to pull out hair at eyelids or other hairs on the body. This type of impulse can affect hair anywhere on the body including eyelashes and takes a few months to grow back.
- Parasites – when eyelashes are infected with parasites the hairs falls on eyelids.
- Blepharitis In this problem, an irritation in the lid area where eyelashes join the eyelid. If the eyelids are itchy, and red then the skin becomes flaky and the eyelashes may fall out.
- Chemotherapy – There are some of the medications used in the treatment of cancer which is responsible for eyelashes loss. If any individual uses chemotherapy for the treatment of cancer then it is one of the main causes of hair loss at eyelids. It will also affect the hair on our body and scalp. During the process of chemotherapy, eyebrows, eyelashes and body hair are severely affected. After chemotherapy, eyelashes start to grow back shortly which is good news for those people who use chemotherapy for any treatment.
- Cutting – if any individual cut the eyelashes for their beauty or other reason then it grows back to their original length in short span of time.
- Thyroid problem – As we know the thyroid gland produces hormones but if the production of gland is too little or too much then it causes a several symptoms including hair loss. The loss of eyelashes can occur with both hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) and hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid). After the treatment of thyroid imbalance, eyelashes start to grow back.
- Lash extensions – These are fibers which are glued with the eyelashes for creating a longer and thicker eyelash. But the lash extension may be harmful for natural lashes. Due to lash extension if natural eyelashes are loss then they grow back in some months.
- Alopecia areata – It is an autoimmune condition which causes the immune system of body attack the hair follicles. This type of conditions causes hair loss on the eyelashes, scalp and eyebrows. Presently there is no treatment of alopecia but medications are available which are beneficial for reducing symptoms.
- Burns – If the eyelashes are damage but the hair follicles are still intact then generally the lashes will grow back in few weeks as per American Academy of Ophthalmology. But in any case if the hair follicles are also damage then the eyelashes may be not grow back.
- Rubbing the eyes – Rubbing the eyes are also responsible for eyelash loss. Hence gently rubbing the eyes to prevent eyelash loss.
Treatments of Eyelashes Loss
In many cases the eyelashes loss by chemotherapy or burn they will grow in few months. The eyelashes may grow back normally thicker as earlier after chemotherapy.
If eyelashes loss due to autoimmune system or thyroid condition then an individual can be treat the underlying health problems for preventing the eyelashes from falling out. The time takes for eyelashes to grow back depending upon the extent and causes of the eyelash loss. There are also some medicines can also help in eyelashes grow back.
There are also home remedies which can be used in eyelashes grow back by using biotin products, eyelash massage and olive oil.