As per the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), about 80 million male and female people have hereditary hair loss (alopecia) problems in the United States. Hair loss is also called as alopecia is more prevalent in older adults. There is an excessive hair loss that may occur in children also. Hair loss may occur due to age increase, medical conditions, hereditary problems, and many more. Hereditary hair loss with age increases the risk of baldness.
Normally, the hair loss per day is from 50 to 100 hairs with around 100,000 hairs on your head so its small loss is not noticeable. Generally, new hair replaces the lost hair, but it does not always occur. Hair loss may develop slowly in several years or occur abruptly and hair fall can be temporary or permanent. If you lose a large amount of hair during washing your hair then it indicates that hair is thin and increases the risk of baldness. So, if you lose a large amount of hair then should consult with your doctor to prevent the problem.
Now different types of hairstyles are very popular among youngsters at parties and marriage ceremonies. But hairstyles or treatment may also cause hair fall at a younger age that creates a serious problem for youths. Young people also use several products for black hair that may also cause hair loss due to several chemicals.
Causes of hair fall – There are several causes of hair fall in men and women are discussed below –
- Age – Age is an important factor in hair loss. Due to increases in the age of an individual, hair fall also increases and growth slows.
- Hereditary (family history) – Hereditary is one of the most common causes of hair loss and occurs with an increase in age all over the world. This type of condition is known as androgenic alopecia, female-pattern baldness, and male-pattern baldness.
- Hormonal changes – There are several conditions may cause temporary or permanent hair fall including hormonal changes that are caused by childbirth, thyroid problem, pregnancy, and menopause.
- Medical conditions – There are some medical conditions including alopecia and is related to the immune system that causes hair loss, scalp infections such as ringworm with a hair-pulling disorder known as trichotillomania.
- Excessive hairstyles and treatments – Some excessive hairstyles or treatments that may cause a type of hair known as traction alopecia. Hot oil hair treatments may cause hair fall and if scarring occurs, hair fall can be permanent which is a serious problem for any individual.
- Medications – Side effects of several medications may cause temporary or permanent hair loss including heart diseases, diabetes, cholesterol, and blood pressure medicines. Acne medications, steroids, and hormones replacement therapy are also responsible for hair loss. If you take any medicine and causes hair loss then consult with your doctor.
- Sexually transmitted diseases – Some sexually transmitted diseases including syphilis may cause hair loss on the beard, scalp, eyebrows, and many more.
- Tension – At present, youth facing several challenges in competition exams, get a job, responsibility of their families, earning money, and many more that create tension that also may cause hair loss especially in youths.
- Pollution – Now pollution increases day by day in big cities that increase the risk of hair loss in people. Pollution contains several pollutants or chemicals that may causes hair fall.